The Biography Of Lal Krishna Advani: A Politician Worth Knowing
Individuals with great intellectual ability, strong principles, and unwavering support are often respected by others. Shri Lal Krishna Advani is one such person. He is one of the most respected and beloved members of the Bharatiya Janata Party or BJP, known for scripting the party’s rise. He is also credited with being a key builder and popularizing the BJP, a testament to the fact that it has emerged as one of the strongest political forces since its formation in 1980.
L K Advani is an inspirational figure to many. He has been the Leader of the Opposition and has served in the position longer than anyone else. He is one of the few survivors who have seen India’s freedom struggle. During his political career, Lalkrishna Advani has held several important positions in the Indian government, most notably as Home Minister (Minister of Home Affairs) from 1998 to 2004. He also served as 7th Deputy Prime Minister from 2002 to 2004. In 2009, he retired from his political career but still remains involved with the BJP as a senior leader.
Basic Details of Lal Krishna Advani
|Lal Krishna Advani
|Karachi, Pakistan (Sindh Pakistan)
|Height 5.8 feet
|Date Of Birth
|8th November 1947
|LK Advani Age
|LK Advani Caste
|K. D. Advani
|Kamla Advani (1932–2016)
|Son -Jayant Advani
Daughter – Pratibha Advani
L K Advani’s Education & Personal Life
L K Advani was born in Karachi, Pakistan in a Hindu Sindhi family. After completing his schooling, he studied at Government College Hyderabad, Sindh. After the partition of India, his family settled in Bombay India, where he graduated from Government Law College, Bombay University.
Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh
In 1941, Lal Krishna Advani started his political career as a volunteer of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) when he was 14 years old. He worked for the Karachi branch and developed several branches of the RSS. After the partition, he was sent to Rajasthan and worked there till 1952 in Alwar, Bharatpur, Kota, Bundi, and Jhalawar districts.
Bharatiya Jana Sangh
In 1951, Lalkrishna Advani joined the Bharatiya Jana Sangh and he was appointed as Secretary to SS Bhandari and later as General Secretary of Jana Sangh in Rajasthan. He went to Delhi for responsibilities in Parliament affairs in 1957 and became the general secretary and was later elected to the post of the Delhi unit president of the Jana Sangh. In 1966 and 1967, he served as the leader of the Bharatiya Jana Sangh in the Interim Delhi Metropolitan Council. From 1967 to 1970, he served as the chairman of the first Delhi Metropolitan Council.
Bhartiya Janta Party
He worked as a General Secretary of the Janata Party from 1977. From 1977 to 1979, he worked as a Union Cabinet Minister, at the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. He was elected president of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) from 1986 to 1991 and again from 1993 to 1998.
Legislative Council / Vidhan Sabha | Rajya Sabha/Lok Sabha
Lal Krishna Advani was first elected to the Rajya Sabha, the Upper House of Parliament, from Delhi in 1970. After working with the Jana Sangh in various positions, he became its president in 1973 at the Kanpur-based party working committee meeting. He later represented Gujarat in the Rajya Sabha. In 1982, he became the Leader of the BJP in the Rajya Sabha from Madhya Pradesh.
In 1989, he was elected as a Member of the Lok Sabha, the lower house of parliament, from Mumbai. He was re-elected in 1991 and 2004. L K Advani was elected as a Lok Sabha member for the sixth time in 2009. In 2014, he was re-elected as a Member of Parliament.
Advani’s Important Role In Indian Politics
Lal Krishna Advani was the Minister of Home Affairs for 13 months in 1998. He was then appointed Minister of Home Affairs again in 1999 and served until 2004. From 2002 to 2004, he also served as the Deputy Prime Minister of India.
Awards And Achievements
- In 2015, Lal Krishna Advani was honored with the Padma Vibhushan, India’s second-highest civilian honor.
- L. K. Advani was honored with the Outstanding Parliamentarian Award in 1999 by the Indian Parliamentary Group.
Most Important Facts To Know About Lal Krishna Advani
- L K Advani had differences with party members because of some major decisions he made while serving as party president. His strong views sometimes led to clashes between the youth of the BJP and the political faction. As a result, he submitted his resignation to the party three times during his tenure from 2005 to 2013.
- Advani loves cricket and Bollywood and is a big fan of Alvin Toffler’s writings on the need to adapt to changing times.
- At the age of 17, Lal Krishna Advani worked as a school teacher in Karachi, Pakistan in 1944. He taught Mathematics, Science, History, and English at Model High School.
- He has been elected as the President of the Bharatiya Janata Party three times, nominated to the Rajya Sabha four times, and elected as a member of the Lok Sabha five times during his political career.
- Advani was the key figure behind the BJP’s fundamental philosophy of hardline Hindutva, which helped the party differentiate itself from other political opponents and win widespread support throughout India in the 1990s.
- From 1990 to 1991, LK Advani served as Chairman of the Review Committee at the Lok Sabha Secretariat. This committee was responsible for making decisions about hiring and working conditions according to the Rules of 1955.
Lal Krishna Advani’s Book
My Country My Life is an autobiographical book written by L. K. Advani. The book, which was released on 19 March 2008 by Abdul Kalam, includes Lal Krishna Advani’s biography and events in the life of Advani from 1900 to 2007. This massive tome became a best seller in the non-fiction category.
Top Quotes By Lal Krishna Advani
- Bullets for the Kar Sevaks, Biryani for the Kashmiri Militants.
- Nation first, party next, Self last.
- You were merely asked to bend, but you chose to crawl. (during the 1975 Emergency)
- Sometimes significant dreams in one’s life takes a long time to fruition but when they are are finally realized the wait becomes worthwhile.
- The essence of Indian Democracy is respect for diversity and freedom of expression.
- The limits and boundaries (of the party) should not be crossed. However, the unrest within the party will not affect the development of the state.
- A bundle of untruths.
- With these qualities, we can achieve revival and bounce back stronger than ever before.
- The whole world will praise him and all Indians will be forever indebted to him if he does.
- The Partition was British guilt. The Emergency is ours.
L K Advani is one of the most influential Indian politicians of all time. He has held many important positions in the government of India and has had a large impact on the country’s political landscape. His career has been long and varied, and he has always been a passionate advocate for his country and its people.
Q: How old is Lal Krishna Advani?
Ans: Lal Krishna Advani is 94 years (8 November 1927).
Q: Who is the founder of the BJP?
Ans: The founder of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) was Atal Behari Vajpayee along with L K Advani.
Q: Where was Lal Krishna Advani born?
Ans: L. K. Advani was born in Karachi, British India on November 8, 1927.
Q: Who is LK Advani’s sister?
Ans: Sheela Advani is the sister of the BJP leader Lal Krishna Advani.
Q: How many daughters does LK Advani have?
Ans: Lal Krishna Advani has a daughter named Pratibha Advani. She produces TV serial shows. She has always supported her father in political activities.
Q: Who is the wife of Lal Krishna Advani?
Ans: L. K. Advani married Kamla Advani in February 1965.
Q: To which caste does Lal Krishna Advani belong?
Ans: LK Advani belongs to a Sindhi family. His father was a businessman.
This blog overviews LK Advani’s personal and political life. You can also stay up-to-date with Lal Krishna Advani’s news, latest updates, and current status on our website. We also have other blogs on IndianVibes that you may find interesting – be sure to explore!
Indianvibes is a sister portal initiated by MyTicketsToIndia – one of the leading flight-booking platforms where we offer amazing deals on cheap flights from USA to India and vice versa. If you have flight booking needs, get in touch with us by calling us at +1-585-948-0222 or joining the live chat.