About Kailasa Temple
Posted on Thursday, December 29th, 2022 by MTI Team
The Kailasa Temple, located in the Ellora Caves in Maharashtra, India, is one of the most impressive Hindu temples in the world. Built-in the 8th century by the Rashtrakuta King Krishna, the temple is a feat of architectural genius and is a testament to the skill and ingenuity of the ancient builders.
The Kailasa Temple is built entirely out of a single piece of rock and is said to be the world’s largest monolithic structure. It is intricately carved with numerous sculptures, depicting Hindu gods and goddesses, as well as scenes from Hindu mythology. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is sometimes referred to as the ‘Cave 16’ of the Ellora Caves. The temple is a popular pilgrimage destination and is visited by thousands of devotees each year.
History Of Kailasa Temple
The Kailasa Temple is one of the largest and most widely renowned rock-cut monuments in India, located in the Ellora Caves near Aurangabad in Maharashtra. It is one of the 34 monasteries and temples in the area, also known as the ‘Cave of the Thousand Buddhas’. It was constructed in the 8th century by the Rashtrakuta dynasty, who were Hindu rulers from the Deccan region. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is considered to be one of the most remarkable architectural feats of ancient India.
The temple is entirely carved out of basalt and is decorated with intricate sculptures and carvings. It is also believed to be the site of many important events in Hindu mythology, including the marriage of Shiva and Parvathi.
Architecture Of Kailasa Temple
Kailasa temple, one of the historical temples in India, is a unique example of the Dravidian style of architecture, which combines elements from both the North and South Indian styles of architecture. The temple is a majestic three-story structure, standing at a height of 30 meters and spanning an area of 76,000 sq. feet. It is made up of two sections – the inner sanctum and the outer courtyard. The inner sanctum is the innermost chamber, which houses the image of Lord Shiva. The outer courtyard is a multi-story structure with balconies, columns, and pavilions.
Best Time To Visit Kailasa Temple
When it comes to deciding the best time to visit Kailasa Temple, there are many factors to consider. Depending on the time of year and the weather, you could have a completely different experience. Before booking India tour packages, here are some tips to help you decide when the best time to visit Kailasa Temple is:
1. Summer (April to June): In summer, the temperatures in Maharashtra reach up to 40°C. Although it is hot, it is the driest time of year, so the humidity is low. This makes it the perfect time to visit Kailasa Temple, as you can explore the ancient temple without having to worry about the heat.
2. Monsoon (July to September): During the monsoon season, the area around Kailasa Temple experiences a lot of rain. This can be a great time to visit if you are looking for a serene, peaceful experience. However, the roads may not be accessible due to floods or landslides, so plan your trip accordingly.
3. Winter (October to March): This is the best time to visit Kailasa Temple, as the weather is cooler and more pleasant. You won’t have to worry about the heat, and can explore the temple in its full glory. So, consider booking your Mumbai tour packages during this period to enjoy your trip fully.
Other Facts About Kailasa Temple
- The Kailasa Temple – a stunning example of Indian architecture – is full of mystery and intrigue. Located in the western Indian state of Maharashtra, the temple is a one-of-a-kind structure that has been baffling historians and archaeologists for centuries.
- One of the mysteries surrounding the Kailasa Temple is how it was built. The temple is made out of a single piece of rock, which is estimated to weigh over 200 tons! It is not known how the structure was built, as the rock is too heavy to have been moved by hand. Some historians believe that the rock was dragged to the site by elephants, while others suggest that it was transported by a combination of chariots and oxen.
- Another unsolved mystery surrounding the Kailasa Temple is its purpose. Some believe that it was a temple dedicated to the god Shiva, while others believe that it was a royal palace for a powerful king. No one knows for sure why it was built, and what its true purpose was.
How To Reach Kailasa Temple
Reaching the Kailasa Temple, one of the best religious tourist attractions in India, is not difficult and there are several options available to make the journey easier. Here are some of the most popular ways to reach the temple:
- By Bus: Buses are the most convenient way to reach the Kailasa Temple. There are direct buses from Mumbai, Pune, and other cities in Maharashtra that take you directly to the temple. Additionally, you can take a bus from any nearby city to the nearest town and then take a taxi or auto-rickshaw from there to the temple.
- By Train: The closest major railway station to the temple is Aurangabad, which is about 25 km away. From there, you can take a taxi or auto-rickshaw to reach the temple.
- By Air: The nearest airports to the temple are Aurangabad Airport, Mumbai Airport, and Pune Airport. Flights to these cities are easily available from all major Indian cities and international destinations. From the airport, you can take a taxi or auto-rickshaw to reach the temple.
While searching for flights to Maharashtra from the USA, you can prefer booking the below-mentioned popular routes that are easily available.
- USA to Mumbai flights
- USA to Pune flights
- USA to Nagpur flights
Explore Kailasa Temple With MyTicketsToIndia
Ready to explore this incredible temple? MyTicketsToIndia will help you book cheap flight tickets and tour packages without causing any kind of inconvenience. With our budgeted flight deals and offers on USA to India flights and back, you can easily save a few dollars. Our travel executives work diligently to grab the best flights. All you need to do is contact us and leave the rest to us. So, what are you waiting for? Call us today to book your flights and trip and explore the Kailasa Temple within a small budget.
Other Temples In Maharashtra
There are many famous and richest temples in Maharashtra that are considered engineering marvels. These holy abodes are embodiments of Indian heritage and culture. Here let’s know about some other famous temples of Maharashtra that you must add to your bucket list –
- Mahalakshmi Temple
- Shirdi Sai Baba Temple
- Siddhivinayak Temple
- Elephant Caves