8 Popular Tourist Places to Visit Near Siliguri
Posted on Thursday, September 30th, 2021 by MTI Team
Siliguri city is in West Bengal that is renowned as the Gateway to North-East India. It is located in the Jalpaiguri and Siliguri districts. It is the twin city of Jalpaiguri and West Bengal’s third-biggest city, located 560 kilometers north of Kolkata. The city has an international airport. It is used as a base for visitors visiting surrounding tourist destinations, including Darjeeling, Gangtok, and Bhutan. Siliguri. Apart from that, it is an excellent holiday location with enough to see and do. Siliguri has been known for its tea and timber products, as well as a major economic and transportation center, throughout the years.
How to reach Siliguri
- By Road: A large number of public and private buses run regularly. It is well linked to several West Bengal towns, including Darjeeling, only 67 kilometers away. From Siliguri to Darjeeling and Gangtok, taxis are also available.
- By Train: There are two rail stations in the city. The Siliguri Junction is one, while the New Jalpaiguri Junction is the other (NJP). The NJP is the most popular train station in the city, with connections to all of the country’s main cities.
- By Air: The Bagdogra airport in Siliguri is the city’s airport. It has transportation links to major cities, including New Delhi, Kolkata, and Bangalore. It is about a 15-minute drive from Siliguri, and passengers may take a taxi from the airport.,
Best time to visit
Winter, from October to February, is the ideal season to visit Siliguri. Temperatures drop to 8 to 10 degrees Celsius with dense fog in certain areas, especially in the early mornings. Summers and monsoons are hotter and more humid. Therefore, book your tickets during the winters for a pleasant journey and attain some of the best offers on Siliguri tour packages
Top 8 Places to visit in Siliguri
|Places in Siliguri||Famous for|
|Chilapata Forest for Jungle Safari||The one-horned rhinoceros|
|Salugara Monastery||Namesake monastery|
|The Science City||Largest science centre in the Indian subcontinent|
|Coronation Bridge||Engineering & architecture|
|Hong Kong Market||Exotic location at Hat Thymmai|
|Kanchenjunga Stadium||football (soccer)|
|Lokenath temple||Baba Lokenath Lotus Temple|
Siliguri is located on the banks of the Mahananda River in the lowlands of Darjeeling District, at the base of the Himalayan Himalayas. Siliguri is the second biggest city in West Bengal and is recognized as the gateway to North-Eastern India because of its strategic location. Travelers reaching the North-East must transit via Siliguri. Here is a list of some of the best Siliguri tourist places.
1. Chilapata Forest for Jungle Safari
The Chilapata Forest, showing off the Siliguri scenery, is a thick forest rich in wildlife. It connects the Jaldapara National Park and the Buxa Tiger Reserve and serves as an elephant corridor. Rhino sightings are uncommon in the woodlands, while leopard sightings are common. The ruins, forts of the Nal kings, Tonga rides, and boats on the Bania River are other attractions.
- Location: SH12A, Buxa Forest, West Bengal 735217
- Timing: opens 24 hours
- Entry fee: for 6 people RS.2600
2. Salugara Monastery
Salugara, one of the many of Siliguri’s best places, is a tiny village on the outskirts of Siliguri. It was constructed by Kalu Rimpoche, who is a Tibetan Lama. The monastery’s centerpiece is a 100-foot stupa that holds five Buddhist relics greatly valued by the Buddhist community.
- Location: Ward 42, Salugara, Siliguri, West Bengal 734004
- Timing: 5-11am, 1-5pm
- Entry fee: no entry fee
3. The Science City
The North Bengal Science Centre, also known as Science City, was founded in 1997. It is Siliguri’s first and only science center at the top of the Siliguri beautiful places list. It’s about a 7-kilometer drive from Siliguri’s major metropolis. Science City was created amid a lush landscape filled with Gokul and hazel trees. This place is visited by thousands of tourists across the globe.
- Location: NH 31, Matigarahat, West Bengal 734010
- Timing: 10am – 6pm
- Entry fee: Rs. 25 per head & Rs. 10 for students
4. Coronation Bridge
Coronation Bridge is in the lovely places in the Siliguri location, which is a part of both the Darjeeling and Jalpaiguri districts. The Coronation Bridge provided a beautiful view of the lush vegetation and was built primarily to connect Darjeeling and Jalpaiguri. So, without wasting any second, plan your trip and explore this astonishing city!
- Location: 734401, Coronation Bridge, Sevoke, West Bengal 734401
- Timing: All time
- Entry fee: no entry fee
5. Hong Kong Market
The Hong Kong Market is well-known across Siliguri for retailing foreign items and international clothing and gadget brands. Restaurants and confectioners are also located within the retail arcade, where consumers may barter for extremely low rates. The best time to visit this place is during the evening and enjoy lip-smacking dishes.
- Location: 6, Satyajit Roy Colony Rd, Ward 41, Don Bosco Colony, Siliguri, West Bengal 734001
- Timing: 9:30 am – 9:30 pm (closed on Monday)
- Entry fee: no entry fee
6. Kanchenjunga Stadium
The Kanchenjunga Stadium, a multi-purpose stadium built in 1969, is mostly utilized for cricket and football matches. The stadium can accommodate 45,000 spectators and can host day and night matches. Various Ranji trophy and federation cup matches are held here regularly.
- Location: 29, Bidhan Rd, Ward 11, Hakim Para, Siliguri, West Bengal 734001
- Timing: 24hrs
- Entry fee: according to matches
7. Lokenath temple
The Lokenath Baba Mandir showcasing Siliguri beauty is an architectural marvel that features fantastic artwork in the shape of deity statues. The split idol of Lokenath Baba and Lord Shiva is the most popular here. So, if you love touring spiritual places, it is the best one for you.
- Location: PCQ3+HW7, Dagapur, Siliguri, West Bengal 734003
- Timing: 7 am – 7 pm
- Entry fee: No entry fee
8. ISKCON Temple
This temple tops the list of Siliguri famous places, also known as Sri Radha Madhav Sundar Mandir. It was constructed by ISKCON or the International Society for Krishna Consciousness. It is one of the prominent places that you should visit while you are in Siliguri. It offers a relaxing atmosphere to the visitors and provides them peace of mind.
- Location: Iskcon Rd, Ward 41, Gitalpara, Siliguri, West Bengal 734006
- Timing: 4:30am – 1pm, 4-8:30pm
- Entry fee: no entry fee
5 Weekend getaways from Siliguri
This city, the second biggest in West Bengal, is known for being the region’s commercial center. This magnificent city, surrounded by the great Himalayan range, must be passed through on the way to the northeast. So, while you’re taking in the sights of this city, don’t forget to check out the weekend getaways from Siliguri.
Bagdogra is a tiny hill station town in West Bengal’s Darjeeling district, situated at the foothills of the Himalayas. It is frequently referred to as the “gateway” to North-East India and the Himalayan Mountains. The tea farms and lush vegetation of Bagdogra are well-known.
- Distance from Siliguri: 10kms
- What to do: Explore the lush green environment, spend some time in nature, and enjoy hiking.
- Where to stay: Queens hill hotels and resorts, Hotel Blue Lagoon, La Vita Nuova Resorts, spa, etc.
Lava is the entrance to Neora Valley National Park, a pristine, untouched Himalayan landscape. When the sun enters the deep forest, it plays a hide-and-seek game with light and shade. Book your flights and witness this beauty yourself!
- Distance from Siliguri: 100kms
- What to do: Tour Buddhist Monastery, Neora Valley Interpretation Center, Tiffin Dara, Ghanti Dara
- Where to stay: Forest department cottages & Red Panda Camp
It splits into many rivers and runs through the sanctuary’s lower marshy terrain, offering a suitable nesting ground for migrating birds. Mongpong Forest Rest House, located on the Teesta’s high bank, gives a panoramic view of the Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary and the Teesta valley.
- Distance from Siliguri: 27kms
- What to do: Enjoy a peaceful and calm atmosphere, wander through the woods, and relax by the Teesta River.
- Where to stay: The West Bengal Tourist Development Corporation’s Forest rest house
Chalsa, an important Dooars village, is located 8 kilometers from Malbazar in the western Dooars on National Highway 31. Chalsa is situated in the foothills of the Himalayas, which is on the route to Siliguri. Its location makes it one of the famous cities in Siliguri.
- Distance from Siliguri: 62kms
- What to do: Trek to the Dooars Chalsa Gatewayexplore Coronation Bridge and see the roaring river Teesta meandering through the steep valley.
- Where to stay: Resort Magpie, Resort Trimurti, Green Tea Resort
Yuksom is a lovely village in Sikkim’s western area, and the village is recognized for its natural beauty. The town of Yuksom is nestled in the middle of mountains covered in rich green flora, close to the Kanchenjunga National Park.
- Distance from Siliguri: 141kms
- What to do: Explore Khecheopalri Lake, Tashi Teenka, Kartok Monastery, Kanchenjunga Falls
- Where to stay: Lovism Homestay, Darap Camp, Ejam Residency, and Melli Camp
5 Things to Do In Siliguri
Despite being a business center, Siliguri offers various tourist attractions and is endowed with beautiful scenery. Tourists may enjoy a variety of activities in the city before traveling higher.
1. Explore Salugara Monastery
The monastery, created by Tibetan Buddhist monks and Dalai Lama supporters, is known for the 100-foot stupa Tibetan Lama Kalu Rinpoche built. This monastery, also known as The Great International Tashi Gomang Stupa, is about 6 kilometers from the city center.
2. Pay Respect At ISKCON Temple Siliguri
ISKCON, which stands for International Society for Krishna Consciousness, erected this temple, also known as Sri Radha Madhav Sundar Mandir. This temple is a must-see for everyone, with a huge structure, gorgeous campus, and relaxing atmosphere.
3. Tour Mahananda Weir Wildlife Sanctuary
This huge area of forest land is located between the Mahananda and Teesta Rivers. It is home to rare mountain goats, Cheetal, barking deer, fisher cat, sambar, tiger, elephant, and Indian bison, as well as migratory birds. At Deorali, Latpancher, and Golaghat Mana, it provides mild to moderate trekking obstacles.
4. Visit The Science City
Popular Science galleries, a Nature Interpretation Gallery, a Life Science Corner, and a Traveling Exhibition Section are all available at the center. The “Nature Interpretation” exhibit displays the flora and wildlife of North Bengal’s seven forest zones.
There are Popular Science galleries, a Nature Interpretation Gallery, a Life Science Corner, and a Traveling Exhibition Section. The exhibit “Nature Interpretation” shows the flora and fauna of North Bengal’s seven forest zones.
6. Sevoke Kali Mandir
Sevokeshwari Kali Mandir, also known as Sevoke Kali Mandir, is a well-known historic temple at Coronation Bridge. It is located 23 kilometers from Siliguri. Maa Kali, the goddess, is said to be immensely strong and heavenly.
Q: In Siliguri, what is the native cuisine?
Siliguri’s cuisine is a true mash-up of different cultures and regions. Depending on what one wants to eat, tourists can choose Chinese, Tibetan Bengali, Mughlai, or South Indian cuisine.
Q: What are some of the nearby Siliguri places to visit?
Gangtok, Darjeeling, Kurseong, Kalimpong, and Lataguri are the finest locations to visit around Siliguri.
Q: What makes Siliguri famous?
Known as the ‘Gateway to Northeast India.’ A breathtaking picture of the snow-capped Himalayas. Beautiful tea gardens may be seen in the surrounding areas.
Q: Who should make a trip to Siliguri?
Adventure seekers who love spending time in nature and enjoy hiking, Siliguri is one of the most recommended places.
Q: What is the best time to visit Siliguri?
November to February is the best time to visit Siliguri.
MyTicketsToIndia is a well-known flight booking portal that offers the finest prices on flights to Siliguri. Please get in touch with MyTicketsToIndia today and start planning a fantastic vacation to Siliguri. We at MyTicketsTolndia will be thrilled to help you make the best possible plans for your flights to Siliguri.
About Girish Sharma | View Posts
Girish Sharma is the CEO of a leading travel company named Myticketstoindia, established in 2012. Being a versed travel expert since 12 years, he shares his peerless voyage expeditions along with interesting travel destination ideas and news updates for the travelaholics across the globe. He is the member of TAAI, Travel Agent Association Of India and his firm has got recognized with the reputed IATA accreditation and became the Inbound Flight Booking Portal of the Year. Loyalty & honesty towards the clients and vendors, have always been the key behind his successful walk of life.. read more