7 Best Tourist Places to Visit in Puri
Posted on Monday, September 27th, 2021 by MTI Team
The spectacular architecture and majestic pilgrimage sites have made the divine land of Puri a dream destination for many. Puri city is acknowledged as one of the most famous pilgrimages in India, as it is also included in the Char Dham Yatra. Every year, a large number of vacationers visit this city, mainly at the time of festivals. It is because, during the festivities, you would be able to spot the real charm and Puri beauty. Here you can find many beautiful beaches, as well as many historical locations and cultural villages. This city is about 60 kilometers south of Bhubaneswar (the capital of Odisha). If you call yourself a nature enthusiast, then Puri is a perfect place for you. You are surely going to have a lovely sightseeing experience while witnessing the array of Puri beautiful places.
How to Reach Puri
- By air: If you plan to visit Puri via flight, you’ll have to book flights to Biju Patnaik Airport, Bhubaneshwar. This is the closest airport to Puri.
- By train: There are regular direct trains available from various cities to Puri. These include New Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, and Bhubaneswar.
- By car/bus/bike: If you want to visit Puri by road, then you must consider a bus. The bus is the best and cheapest way to reach Puri. A minibus option is available too.
Best time to visit
If you are planning a trip to Puri, Odisha, then prefer going between October to February. This period is considered to be the high season to visit Puri. The months of June, July, August, and September are considered to be the moderate seasons. From June to September, the city of Puri experiences heavy rainfall. Thus, summer has always been considered to be the best weather to explore Puri famous places.
7 Must-visit tourist locations in Puri
|Places in Amritsar||Famous for|
|Chilika Lake||Largest lagoon in India|
|Sri Jagannath Puri Temple||Annual Ratha Yatra, or chariot festival|
|Sudarshan Crafts Museum||Great collection of carvings in wood and stone|
|Markandeshwar Temple||Popular Shiva temple|
|Khandagiri Caves||popular Jain pilgrimage center|
|Nalbana Bird Sanctuary||Several migratory birds|
|Ganesh Temple||Exclusive image of Ganesha|
The beauty of Puri is unparalleled and it has been able to maintain its place in the bucket list of every traveler. You will get awestruck by witnessing the various Puri places to visit accompanied by exemplary architecture and history. Make sure that you are surely including every significant tourist attraction here in your Puri tour packages.
1. Chilika Lake
Puri Chilika lake of Odisha is famous for supporting biodiversity. Nearly 200 bird species have been recognized here. Out of those, around 100 are reportedly intercontinental migrants. If you are a bird watcher, then this place is best suited for you.
- Located in: The Chilika Lake spans over Khurda, Puri, and Ganjam Districts on the east coast.
- Best time to visit: October to March
- What to do: You can visit the Kalkaji Temple and many islands, including Birds’ Island, Breakfast Island, Honeymoon Island, and nearby Chilika Lake.
2. Sri Jagannath Puri Temple
Sri Jagannath Puri Temple is among the most remarkable structures of Odisha. This temple is built in Dravidian architecture, and Kalinga architecture. It is about 65 meters in height. You can experience a lively atmosphere here during festivals.
- Located in: Grand Rd, At post, Puri, Odisha 752001
- Best time to visit: July to March
- What to do: You can worship the deities and can go to many other places nearby the temple.
3. Sudarshan Crafts Museum
Sudarshan Craft Museum is one of the finest places to visit in Puri. Here you can discover a huge collection of artworks created by SudarshanSahoo, such as paintings, carvings in stone, wood, fiberglass, and handicrafts.
- Located in: Station Rd, Puri, Odisha 752002
- Best time to visit: March-May
- What to do: Take a look at some of the best artworks, and paintings on display. You can even find craftspeople creating new designs and sculptures inside.
4. Markandeshwar Temple
Markandeshwar Temple is an old temple located in Puri, Odisha. You can reach this temple from the Markandeshwar Chowk by the side of the Markandeshwar tank, north to the Jagannath Temple. The temple is open 24 hours for the public.
- Located in: Mathura Road of Puri, in Odisha
- Best time to visit: October – February.
- What to do: Witness the unique architecture and the rustic charm of this temple.
5. Khandagiri Caves
The Khandagiri Caves are tucked on the mighty Kumari mountain range and once served as the residence of Jain monks. During the 2nd century, there were around 117 such caves and till now, only 33 are surviving. The unique history associated with this location has made it one of Puri’s best places.
- Address: 7Q7M+2V7, Khandagiri, Bhubaneswar, Odisha 751030
- Best time to visit: November-March.
- What to do: Experience the 360-degree views. Kedareshwar Temple, ISKCON Temple, and Swarnajaleswar Temple are some nearby places that you can explore.
6. Nalbana Bird Sanctuary
Want to witness the real beauty of Puri scenery? If yes, then head towards Nalbana Bird Sanctuary. It is the perfect location for both bird watching and sightseeing. This site covers an area of about 3842 acres of dense forests. Not only this, but you can also see more than 150 species of marine animals in the lake here!
- Located in: Nalaban, Odisha 752030
- Best time to visit: October-March
- What to do: Witness various species of marine animals and birds here. Spend some time with nature.
7. Ganesh Temple
Within the very popular Jagannath Temple Complex, there is a small Ganesh Temple. This temple has an exclusive image of Lord Ganesh called Natya Ganesh (Dancing Ganesh). Despite its tiny dimension, a great number of devotees visit here each year.
- Located in: Inside the Jagannath Temple Complex in Puri, Odisha
- Best time to visit: July-March
- What to do: You can worship the deity and pray for blessings.
5 Popular Beaches to enjoy sunsets in Puri
Puri is majorly prominent as the divine land, but it doesn’t mean that the city is just limited to temples. Instead, you can also expect a good number of beaches here! These beaches showcase the perfect beauty of Puri and serve as the best place to watch the amazing views of sunsets and sunrise.
1. Puri beach
Puri Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches to enjoy sunsets and sunrise. Apart from that, while being here, you can also spend your time in various activities such as angling, boat ride, sea cruising, and swimming, surfing. The sounds of the waves of the beach water would bless your ears and soul.
- Things to do: You can perform many activities when at Puri Beach. These include surfing, swimming, boat riding, and sea cruising.
2. Astaranga Beach
Astaranga Beach is an impressive beach in Odisha, which is well-known for the scenic views you may get to see at sunset. This beach is a popular fishing village, and each morning, a bazaar is set up on the beach, which sells a large variety of fresh fish.
- Things to do: This beach can be a perfect location for photographers as it offers beautiful and splendid views of the sunsets. It can also be a perfect site for hanging out.
3. Baliharachandi Beach
Your bucket list seems incomplete if you do not include Baliharachandi Beach. This beach generally remains less crowded throughout the year. If you are looking for a peaceful atmosphere, then you must visit this beach. The serenity lying here has been the foremost reason for it being considered amongst the best Puri tourist places.
- Things to do: This beach can be an ideal picnic spot. Witnessing the sunset here is a wonderful experience.
4. Golden Beach
This beach of Puri is well-known for its fine sands, and many devotees come here to have a purification dip. This beach has crystal clear water and the calm surroundings prevalent here would give you the best time of your life.
- Things to do: There are several things to do at Golden Beach, including watching sunsets, enjoying a peaceful environment, etc.
5. Baleshwar Beach
This beach is situated on Marine Drive Road. It is a very popular beach and is prominent due to its Shaivite shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva. The picturesque surroundings and the pristine aura of this place would give you the finest experience.
- Things to do: This beach of Puri is a perfect spot for a day picnic. You can try out abundant water activities here.
4 Famous markets of Puri that you should visit
Are you a shopaholic? If yes, then Puri is surely the best-suited place for you. It is because the city acts as a sheath to abundant markets! Each one of these markets is known to sell unique items and thus, you should pay a visit there while being in Puri.
1. The Family World
The Family World is a marketplace that is majorly famous for its unique range of cosmetic and beauty products.
- Location: Grand Rd, Puri, Odisha 752001
- Timings: Open all days of the week from 10 AM to 10:05 PM.
2. Bazaar Kolkata
Bazaar Kolkata is among the main markets in the Puri location. Here you can find almost every kind of product available at the cheapest prices.
- Location: Senapati Bhawan, In Front of Town Police Station, Grand Rd, Puri, Odisha 752001
- Timings: The market is open between 10 AM to 10 PM.
3. Chandan Bazaar
The Chandan Bazaar is famous for its fashion apparel and garments. If you want to get the best wearables, vouch for this market.
- Location: Grand Rd, Puri, Odisha 752001
- Timings: It is open all days of the week from 10 AM to 10 PM.
4. Swargadwar Market
At Swargadwar Market, you can enjoy some of the best street foods. The restaurants here are known to provide abundant varieties of cuisines.
- Location: Swargadwar Rd, Puri, Odisha 752001
- Timings: This market is open from 7 AM to 10 PM every day.
Q: What makes Puri a popular city in India?
Ans: The thing that makes Puri a popular city is that it is thought to be the last resting place of Lord Vishnu.
Q: What all famous temples can I explore when in Puri?
Ans: In Puri, you can explore some of the most impressive and ancient temples, counting Shree Jagannath Temple, Shree Gundicha Temple, Maa Bata Mangala Temple, and Harachandi Temple.
Q: How many days would be enough to discover Puri?
Ans: It would be better if you plan a 4-day tour to explore all the major sites of Puri city.
Q: Which is the best time to go to Puri?
Ans: The perfect time to go to Puri is between June to March.
Q: What food item is famous in Puri?
Ans: Khicede is a very famous food of Odisha, made from a blend of rice and lentils cooked in pure ghee.
MyTicketsToIndia is a leading travel agency that offers the most favorable rates on flights to Puri to its clients. They’ll also assist their customers in planning a trip to Puri without any hassle. Kindly get in touch with us to avail budget-friendly vacation to this divine land. We are happy to be at your service!
About Girish Sharma | View Posts
Girish Sharma is the CEO of a leading travel company named Myticketstoindia, established in 2012. Being a versed travel expert since 12 years, he shares his peerless voyage expeditions along with interesting travel destination ideas and news updates for the travelaholics across the globe. He is the member of TAAI, Travel Agent Association Of India and his firm has got recognized with the reputed IATA accreditation and became the Inbound Flight Booking Portal of the Year. Loyalty & honesty towards the clients and vendors, have always been the key behind his successful walk of life.. read more