Top 8 Tourist Places to Visit in Srinagar
Posted on Wednesday, September 29th, 2021 by MTI Team
Situated in North India, Srinagar is a place surrounded by the snow-capped mountain range of the Himalayas. The site is adorned by tourist spots like beautiful Mughal gardens, Islamic shrines, temples, lakes, mosques, and markets. The picturesque hill station is the capital city of Kashmir and is also known as ‘Land of Lakes and Gardens. Every year thousands of tourists come to explore this heavenly place. Srinagar city is a popular tourist destination for sightseeing. Some of the beautiful views show them the beauty of nature and the pleasant weather is like a cherry on top. Here you will see some of the famous and Persian style popular tourist attractions which will make your trip unforgettable. Kashmir has lofty mountains and splendid views; it is a must-visit place for those who love traveling and yearn for scenic beauty. So, book your air tickets and enjoy the Srinagar scenery!
How to reach Srinagar
- By Air: Srinagar has an international airport that connects major cities and towns. You can book your flights to Srinagar very easily without any hassle.
- By Rail: There is no Srinagar Junction; the nearest station to Srinagar is in Jammu, 266 km away. After reaching the Jammu railway station, you can hire private transport to travel via road.
- By Bus: National Highway 1A is the main highway that connects the city to many cities and towns like Delhi, Amritsar, Jammy, and Chandigarh. You can enjoy a Srinagar location and mesmerizing valleys.
Best time to visit Srinagar
If you want to experience a fairytale, in reality, you must consider visiting Srinagar in the winter months. The perfect weather to explore Srinagar beauty is during the winter season between December to February. If you enjoy the snow, you can visit some of Srinagar’s famous places in these months. The winter months spent in Srinagar result in perfect weather to look forward to.
8 most beautiful places to visit in Srinagar
|Places in Srinagar||Famous for|
|Chatpal Lake||Scenic meadows, lakes and mountains|
|Char Chinar||Four Chinar Trees|
|Nigeen Lakere||Latively pristine waters|
|Betaab Valley||Gorgeous and breathtaking views|
|Jama Masjid||The largest mosque in India|
|Baramulla||unique archaeological monuments.|
|Sinthan Top||Beauty and wonderful tourist attractions|
|Lal Chowk||Processions and Dharnas|
1. Chatpal Lake
It is an unexplored place in the paradise of Kashmir. The whole area is endowed with lush green valleys, lofty mountains, and melodious gushing of water. It is truly a scenic beauty that captivates the eyes of travelers. You can come here and have the most peaceful experience of your life. It is highly known for its untouched natural beauty and the astounding Himalayas. Some of the best nearby places you can explore are Aharbal Waterfall, Sonmarg, Lolab valley. Gulmarg, Kishtwar National Park, and Martand Temple.
- Location: Anantnag district, South Kashmir
- What to do: Explore the beauty by sitting on the riverside rocks, listening to the bird class, and rustling leaves by having a short trek.
- Wear suitable casual clothing and footwear with a closed head.
- Carry some food and drinks along with you.
- Carry the right equipment if you are visiting a mountainous area.
2. Char Chinar
The place is also referred to as Rupa Lank. It is a beautiful island situated in Dal Lake. The island is known for its magnificent Chinar trees that are positioned in four corners. It is the best site on the list of Srinagar’s beautiful places. It is renowned for its beautiful and refreshing Chinar trees in four corners. Prominent places that you can visit nearby are Nishat Garden, Chashme Shahi Garden, Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden, Pari Mahal.
- Location: Dal Lake Srinagar, Kashmir 190001
- What to do: Travel on the houseboats, also known as Shikaras, in Dal Lake.
- Wear proper safety kits
- Check the overloading of the boat.
- Check the weather and water conditions before riding the boats.
3. Nigeen Lake
Nigeen Lake or Nagin Lake is the best place in Srinagar for nature lovers. The site has a very peaceful setting surrounded by poplar trees. The tourist can cherish the moment they spent at this place as it is one of the best places to visit in Srinagar. The place is renowned for its tranquil and picturesque environment. One can also partake in some adventurous sports as well. You can also explore the close-range tourist destinations, including Dal Lake, Pari Mahal, Shalimar Garden, Hazaratbal Shrine. Shankaracharya Temple.
- Location: Hari Parbat Hillock in the west of Dal Lake
- What to do: You can enjoy the Shikara ride in the lap of serene and sheer nature. Safety tips:
- Consider wearing a life jacket
- See if the boat propellers are properly working or not.
- Keep a watch on your children while being on board.
4. Betaab Valley
Originally the place was known as Hagan Valley or Lagoon. It is surrounded by lush meadows, green mountain ranges, and thick and dense vegetation. It is the perfect place for the one who loves to see beautiful natural sights. It is a picturesque valley and the best Srinagar place to visit where you can take amazing shots. The place is renowned for its exceptional beauty and a perfect picnic site.
- Location: Near Pahalgam, Baramulla, Hajan, Jammu, and Kashmir
- What to do: Enjoy several activities here such as sightseeing, trekking, picnicking, visiting the Bobby hut, etc.
- Wear proper hiking boots and trainers.
- Plan your route properly before starting the excursion.
- Always be prepared for the sudden weather changes.
Popular places to see nearby: Tullian Lake, Mamleshwar Temple, Aru Valley, Poshwan park
5. Jama Masjid
It is the biggest mosque in Kashmir Valley and one of the top places to visit in Srinagar. The mosque is a piece of Islamic style of architecture; it is a place with historical and religious importance. It is famous for its magnificent architecture influenced by the Indo-Saracenic style. Some popular places to visit here are Hazratbal Mosque, Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden, Shalimar Garden, the Mughal Gardens which was extended by Shah Jahan.
- Location: Nowhatta, Srinagar
- What to do: Explore the architectural marvel and know about the history attached to it.
- Always remove your shoes and other restricted items before entering.
- Do not touch the idols, holy books, and other religious things.
It is a place founded by Raja Bhimsina. The place is also known as the city of mountains. Here you can find many religious sites. Here you can find many flora and fauna, and it is the best place for nature and peace lovers. It is famous for being the highest green golf course in the world. A few of the nearby places to explore are Dras, Pulwama, and Sonmarg.
- Location: Kupwara and Pooch, Kashmir (district shares its border with Pakistan-occupied Kashmir)
- What to do: Sightseeing, picnicking and playing golf, exploring Wular Lake.
- Wear proper clothing that is relaxing and comfortable.
- Take a good amount of water along with you.
- Cover your head and eye with a hat and sunglasses from direct sun rays.
7. Sinthan Top
It is a mountain pass which is quite famous among the tourists. The top is situated at 3800 m and attracts travelers as it gives 360 degree gorgeous and splendid views of Jammu and Kashmir. It is a renowned site for fun activities like trekking, mountaineering, and skiing. If you visit this place, do not forget to explore nearby places, including Machali Mata, Kishtwar National Park, Shrine of Shah Asrar, Gulmarg.
- Location: South Kashmir Breg Valley and Kishtwar
- What to do: Horse riding, Paragliding, Sightseeing are some options that you can try.
- While performing the sports activity, follow the given guidelines.
- See the weather condition before planning the hiking.
- Take a flashlight and other equipment during the visit.
8. Lal Chowk
The place is surrounded by the beautiful landscapes of mountains and lakes. Lal Chowk is a place with a lot of political interest and history attached to it. It is the commercial city center that offers a great variety of merchandise. The place is renowned for the best variety and quality of Kashmir-style products. Popular places to see nearby are Shankaracharya Temple, Jama Masjid, Hari Parbat, and Hazratbal Shrine.
- Location: Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir
- What to do: You can buy some of the amazing stuff for your friends and family, and sightsee the place.
- Safety tips: The place is always on the radar of many strikes and riots. It is better to go there when such things are not happening.
5 Top markets to enjoy traditional shopping in Srinagar
Srinagar is an amazing and the most famous place to visit in India. Here you can find many good markets from where you can buy different varieties of stuff.
1. Residency Road
It is a trendy shopping spot that many shopaholic tourists visit. The place is mesmerizing, and you can find many great things here to give to your family and friends. It is famous for its Kashmiri Handicraft and ethnic Dogra jewelry. In addition, here you can find fresh dry fruits and aromatic spices.
- Location: Lal Chowk, Srinagar
- Price range: INR 1000 – INR 20000
2. Polo View Market
It is one of the Srinagar best places, also known as the hub for commercial activities. The streets of this market shine brighter during the night. However, the market is renowned for selling exquisite decor items, statues, flower vases, walnuts, and Jamawars.
- Location: Polo Ground, Srinagar
- Price range: INR 1000 – INR 5000
3. Ghantaghar Market
It is a place where you can find some fantastic things that represent Kashmir’s style and culture. The site offers many things like decorative items, jewelry, spices, etc., which you can buy at a very affordable price. You can purchase beautiful pashmina shawls and unique Kashmiri designer clothes, aromatic spices, dry fruits, etc., from this iconic market.
- Location: Srinagar, Kashmir
- Price range: INR 500 – INR S5000
4. Raghunath Bazaar
Raghunath Bazaar is a market that is well known for its dry fruits. Here you can buy the best quality dry fruits and expensive spices very quickly. Apart from that, you can also purchase some of the best wooden carving items and woolen clothes from here. Location: it is the located near Jammu region
- Location: Raghunath Bazaar, Near Raghunath Temple, Jammu city
- Price range: INR 2000 – INR 50000
5. Badshah Chowk
It is a remarkable destination to buy different things in Srinagar. Breathtaking views and hundreds of shops surround the market. You can explore the market and find other and innovative things. The best things you can buy here are Kashmiri Carpets, Kashmiri embroidery clothes, and Pashmina shawls.
- Location: City Center, Srinagar.
- Price range: INR 1000 – INR 40000
Things to do in Srinagar
- Seek the blessing at the sacred Shankaracharya Temple.
- Trek to famous tops and points to view the city.
- Stroll through and look at the tulips at Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden.
- See the white marvel at the Hazratbal mosque.
- Go for an adventure At Sonmarg and perform water sports.
- Explore the luscious green beautiful gardens, which have beautiful ornamental plants.
- Have a Shikara ride on Dal Lake
- Stay in the fantastic houseboat and have a romantic vacation.
- Taste some of the spicy and tasty local cuisines.
- Go for bird watching and Sightseeing at Manasbal Lake.
Q: Do prepaid networks work in Srinagar?
Ans: No, you can’t use prepaid Sim Cards in Srinagar. Only postpaid networks are available.
Q: Is it safe to visit Srinagar and other tourist destinations in Kashmir?
Ans: Yes, it is safe to visit the tourist destination in Srinagar. Kashmir has been doing well in tourism, and also the government makes sure of the safety of the tourists.
Q: Is a hotel or a houseboat better to stay in Srinagar?
Ans: Luxurious hotels are available, but you should try staying in the houseboat in Kashmir for an unforgettable experience. You can book houseboats through your Srinagar tour packages.
Q: What is the famous and typical Kashmiri food that I can try?
Ans: Kashmiri Wazwan and Kashmiri Kehwa are the typical foods you can try for a beautiful experience.
Q: What all mobile networks work in Srinagar?
Ans: Srinagar has many postpaid connections, including BSNL, Idea, Airtel, Reliance, Vodafone, etc.
MyTicketsToIndia is the top-rated travel agency that offers some of the best prices on flights to Srinagar. You can reach out to our travel experts, who will curate rejuvenating travel deals for you. So, what are you waiting for? Plan your trip and enjoy Srinagar scenery!
About Girish Sharma | View Posts
Girish Sharma is the CEO of a leading travel company named Myticketstoindia, established in 2012. Being a versed travel expert since 12 years, he shares his peerless voyage expeditions along with interesting travel destination ideas and news updates for the travelaholics across the globe. He is the member of TAAI, Travel Agent Association Of India and his firm has got recognized with the reputed IATA accreditation and became the Inbound Flight Booking Portal of the Year. Loyalty & honesty towards the clients and vendors, have always been the key behind his successful walk of life.. read more