Top 10 Attractions and Places to Visit in Mumbai
Posted on Thursday, September 23rd, 2021 by MTI Team
Mumbai is the iconic city of dreams for many reasons and one of the largest cities in India. The magical city and the commercial capital of India are always bustling with people busy with their life schedules. Being the capital of Maharashtra, it also bears witness to ancient British architecture and culture. Visit the Mayanagri to get a clear idea about the unique style of the Mumbaikers and the strong Marathi influence here. Mumbai city has some amazing sea beaches, temples, parks, hotels, and shopping spots to visit. You will also get numerous historical and architectural places to witness here, which portrays a rich Maratha heritage.
The city holds eminent records in world history, mainly because of which it is a major financial center now. You will get to view the most expensive house in Mumbai, alongside Dharavi slum, the biggest slum in whole Asia. Not only that but the Mumbai location is also known to initiate the origin of Bollywood- one of the most prolific film industries in the world. While you wander around the streets in Mumbai, you may get a glimpse of a famous Bollywood celebrity relaxing in the comfort of his home! Experience the Mumbai beauty closely by visiting the top tourist destinations soon.
How To Reach Mumbai
Mumbai is well-connected with other cities in India, along with major international centers and spots. You can choose eminent modes of travel to reach the city and tour around Mumbai’s famous places.
- By Air: If you are opting for USA to Mumbai flights, you need to choose the Mumbai Airport Terminal 1 (for domestic travel) or Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (for international travel).
- By Train: Mumbai has its railway station known as Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CST). You can book direct trains to this station from your preferable place.
- By Road: Mumbai is also easily accessible by roads, mainly from the western and southwestern cities in India. It is well connected to states like Delhi, Haryana, and Rajasthan by NH-48.
Here are 10 Top-Rated Tourist Destinations To Visit In Mumbai
|Places in Mumbai||Famous for|
|Gateway of India||First visit of a British monarch to India|
|Elephanta Caves||UNESCO World Heritage Centre|
|Marine Drive||known as the Queen’s Necklace|
|Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus||reminder of the British Raj pre-independence|
|Haji Ali Shrine||Iconic landmark floating in the middle of sea|
|Sanjay Gandhi National Park||The presence of Kanheri caves|
|Red Carpet Wax Museum||Life-like’ wax statues|
|Powai Lake Museum||Red carpet wax museum|
|Juhu Chowpatty||Food and view|
|Essel World||The pioneer of amusement parks in India|
1. Gateway of India
The Gateway of India, one of the top-rated tourist attractions in South Mumbai, was built in 1924 to welcome King George V and Queen Mary to India. It is an important historical landmark, mainly related to British architecture. People often considered it to be the “Taj Mahal of Mumbai”, comparing it to the famous Paris’ Arc de Triomphe.
- Famous for: British architectural patterns
- Location: Apollo Bandar, Colaba Causeway, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001
- Entry Fee: Free
- Timings: 7 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
- Things to do near Gateway of India: Witness the grandeur of the Taj Hotel near this monument, enjoy the amazing landscape along the Arabian Sea.
- Hotels in Mumbai near Gateway of India: Taj Mahal Tower, Suncity Apollo Hotel
2. Elephanta Caves
Also known as Gharapurichi Leni, Elephanta Caves is located on Elephanta Island. It contains seven caves with historical and religious engravings of popular interests. It is a popular World Heritage site that also contains important carvings related to Buddhism and Hinduism, especially Lord Shiva.
- Famous for: Sculptures in the caves are carved out of Basalt rock
- Location: Gharapuri, Maharashtra
- Entry Fee: INR 40 for Indian Tourists and INR 250 for Foreigners
- Timings: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Hotels in Mumbai near Elephanta Caves: Mogul Palace Hotel, ITC Grand Central
- Things to do near Elephanta Caves: Get to know about the historical significance of the place, enjoy ferry rides.
3. Marine Drive
Often referred to as the “Queen’s Necklace”, Marine Drive is a popular tourist spot among Mumbai’s beautiful places. When the evening approaches, one can look at the breathtaking views of the beautiful city of Mumbai from here. Visit at night to witness an amazing landscape along with several features of Mumbai’s nightlife. Enjoy the cool breeze and the clear waters of the Arabian Sea. Take in the panoramic views of Marine Drive, truly an experience of a lifetime. It is among the best Mumbai places to visit as a tourist.
- Famous for: Mesmerizing views of the Arabian Sea, Nana-Nani Park
- Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra, 400004, India
- Entry Fee: Free
- Timings: Open 24/7
- Hotels in Mumbai near Marine Drive: Hotel Marine Plaza, Trident Hotel
- Things to Do around Marine Drive: Satisfy your hunger cravings with popular street foods like pav bhaji and golgappa.
4. Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST)
It is a famous UNESCO World Heritage site, which features the busiest railway station in India. The Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus is also the headquarters of Central Railways. Visit the popular site to witness an amalgamation of gothic architecture as well as modern works of art.
- Location: D.N Road, Mumbai
- Entry Fee: Free
- Timings: Always open.
- Hotels in Mumbai near Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus: Empire Royale Hotel, Hotel Oasis
- Things to Do near Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus: Get a glimpse of the busy and buzzing lifestyle of Mumbai.
5. Haji Ali Shrine
It is among the popular Mumbai places to visit at the heart of the city. Visit the famous tomb of Muslim Saint Pir Haji Ali Shah Bukhari in Haji Ali Mosque or Shrine. It features high rising rocks along with a particular structure which makes it even more popular among the tourists. Pay your respects at the mosque, and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
- Location: Dargah Rd, Haji Ali, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Entry Fee: Free
- Timings: 5.30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Hotels in Mumbai near Haji Ali Shrine: Hotel Krishna Palace, Four Seasons Hotel
- Things to Do at Haji Ali Shrine: Offer your respects at the mosque, and enjoy the serenity.
6. Sanjay Gandhi National Park
Witness the natural beauty and Mumbai scenery by visiting the Sanjay Gandhi National Park. The amazing flora and fauna, along with the breathtaking natural landscape, are sure to mesmerize you. The park also has a separate kid-friendly zone where you can hop your kids in and let them enjoy themselves.
- Location: Western Express Hwy, Borivali East, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400066
- Entry Fee: INR 60
- Timings: 7.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.
- Hotels in Mumbai near Sanjay Gandhi National Park: Radisson Blu, ITC Maratha
- Things to Do at Sanjay Gandhi National Park: Witness the amazing nature and wildlife.
7. Red Carpet Wax Museum
It is one of the best Mumbai tourist places featuring lifelike statues of eminent people related to politics, entertainment, sports, and other popular fields. You can also click individual pictures with the statues. They are kept in a favorable ambiance which makes them look alive in front of the visitors.
- Location: 1st Floor, R City Mall, Lal Bahadur Shastri Marg, Amrut Nagar, Ghatkopar West, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Entrance Fee: INR 250 (weekday), INR 350 (weekends)
- Timings: 9.45 a.m. to 9.30 p.m.
- Hotels in Mumbai near Red Carpet Wax Museum: Hotel Liberty Plaza, Roa Hotel
- Things to Do at Red Carpet Wax Museum: Click pictures of the look-alikes of various celebrities like Shah Rukh Khan, Amitabh Bachchan, among others.
8. Powai Lake
It is an artificial lake named after the Framaji Kavasji Powai Estate. Experience the natural beauty of Mumbai, away from the jostling crowd. Visit the Powai Lake garden. The lake contains numerous crocodiles, which you can witness right from the shore.
- Location: Powai, Maharashtra, 400076, India
- Entry Fee: No fee
- Timings: Always open
- Hotels in Mumbai near Powai Lake: Renaissance Mumbai, Lakeside Chalet
- Things to Do near Powai Lake: Click excellent pictures keeping the natural landscape in view. Visit the luxurious resorts around the lake.
9. Juhu Chowpatty
Experience the serenity in and around Juhu Beach and Chowpatty Beach. They are two separate beaches, which fall under the category of the best places to visit in Mumbai. The Juhu Beach is also close to the various residences of Bollywood celebrities. Enjoy Pav Bhaji and gola ice creams while witnessing the amazing natural landscape.
- Location: Juhu Tara Road, Juhu, Mumbai, Maharashtra, 400049, India
- Entry Fee: Free
- Timings: Open 24/7
- Hotels in Mumbai near Juhu Chowpatty: Hotel Sea Princess, JW Marriott Hotel Mumbai
- Things to Do at Juhu Chowpatty: Enjoy lip-smacking street food like pav bhaji, vada pav, and various kinds of seafood.
10. Essel World
Located in Gorai village in Mumbai, the Essel World is the largest amusement park in India. It has been highly regarded to entertain visitors regularly for quite a long time now. Accordingly, it is one of Mumbai’s best places to visit and a major attraction for kids, family, and friends alike. You will get access to the best dancing zones and tourist attractions inside the entertainment park.
- Location: Gorai Road, Borivali West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400091.
- Entry Fee: INR 390
- Timings: 10 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.
- Hotels in Mumbai near Essel World: Manoribel, The Byke Delotel
- Things to Do near Essel World: Participate in water adventure sports, visit Global Vipassana Pagoda.
Q: Which religious sites to visit in Mumbai?
Ans: Shri Siddhivinayak Temple, ISKCON Temple, Mumba Devi Temple, Mahalakshmi Temple, and Haji Ali Dargah are important religious places in Mumbai. Select the best Mumbai tourist places to visit near the religious sites.
Q: Where can I get to witness stunning views in Mumbai?
Ans: Marine Drive, Girgaon Chowpatty, Madh Island, and Bandra-Worli Sea Link offer splendid views. You can visit them at night for added effects.
Q: Are there any kid-friendly places to visit in Mumbai?
Ans: Yes, indeed. You can visit Mumbai Zoo, Aksa Beach, Kanheri Caves, Elephanta Island, and Essel World with your kids for a fun experience and thrilling rides.
Q: Which street foods are popular in Mumbai?
Ans: Pav Bhaji, Vada Pav, Misel Pav, and Golgappa are popular street foods in Mumbai.
Q: Which is the major festival in Mumbai?
Ans: Ganesh Chaturthi is considered to be the most important festival of the Mumbaikers. Also, Shivaji Jayanti is an important holiday in Mumbai. Select the best Indian timing for a visit to Mumbai to avoid overcrowding.
Plan A Memorable Trip With MyTicketsToIndia
Wishing to visit the popular tourist attractions of Mumbai? Unsure of where to find the best air travel deals to Mumbai? At MyTicketsToIndia you will find the best flight booking services at the most affordable prices for a Mumbai tour. Enjoy an unforgettable trip to the city of dreams with flight bookings according to your preferences!
Popular USA To Mumbai RoutesAtlanta To Mumbai Flights Austin To Mumbai Flights Boston To Mumbai Flights Chicago To Mumbai Flights DFW To BOM Flights DTW To BOM Flights Houston To Mumbai Flights LAX To Mumbai Flights Denver To Bombay Flights Miami To Mumbai Flights EWR To Mumbai Flights Orlando To Mumbai Flights Seattle To Mumbai Flights SFO To Mumbai Flights DC To Mumbai Flights RDU To Bombay Flights CLT To BOM Flights
About Heena Ganotra | View Posts
A writer by both passion and profession, Heena Ganotra is "half agony, half hope" but all heart. And oh, she has been a book lover from the start! Her love for books is what convinced her to make a career in the wonderful world of words. She loves what she does and is out-and-out a satisfied soul with a wish to spread happiness like herpes. Insight- Some say she is living the best life anyone could because she reads, writes, travels, and makes merry. They’re right because what else does one really need! :)