Posted on Thursday, December 29th, 2022 by MTI Team
The Khajuraho Temple Complex is a unique and captivating landmark in India. Built-in the 10th century by the Chandela dynasty, the temple complex stands as a testament to a distinct and ancient form of Hindu architecture. Featuring intricate carvings and monuments, the site is a stunning example of India’s rich cultural heritage. Come explore the beauty and history of the Khajuraho Temples and discover the majesty of this ancient site.
History Of Khajuraho Temple
The Khajuraho Temple complex, one of the oldest temples in India, dates back to the 9th and 10th centuries when the Chandela Dynasty built it. It is home to a cluster of Hindu and Jain temples renowned for their stunningly intricate sculptures and carvings. The temples are also known for their erotic sculptures, which depict a variety of themes from Indian mythology.
Architecture Of Khajuraho Temple
The Khajuraho Temple complex is divided into three distinct groups, each featuring its own unique architectural style. The western group features temples such as Kandariya Mahadeva Temple, Jagdambi Temple, and Chitragupta Temple dedicated to Shiva, Vishnu, and the sun god Surya. The eastern group covers Vamana Temple, Javari Temple, Parsvanatha temple, etc. are focused on the Jain faith and feature some of the world’s tallest temples, while the southern group includes temples dedicated to the goddess Shakti.
The unique Nagara-style architecture of Khajuraho temples is characterized by their grandeur, boldness, and intricate designs. The facades of the temples are decorated with intricate sculptures, while the interiors are adorned with a beautiful mix of Hindu and Jain sculptures.
Best Time to Visit Khajuraho Temple
The best time to visit the Khajuraho Temple complex is during the winter months of October to March. The weather is mild and pleasant, making it the ideal time to explore the temple complex. Make sure to take a guided tour of the complex to learn more about its history and admire the intricate carvings. So, to witness the beauty of this amazing place book your India tour packages now and give your soul real happiness.
Other Things to do In Khajuraho
Every year, the city of Khajuraho attracts thousands of tourists who come to witness its magnificent temples, which are renowned for their intricate carvings. But Khajuraho is much more than just a temple town; it is also home to some of the most exciting things to do in and around the city. From exploring the wildlife at Kanha National Park to admiring the beautiful Khajuraho sculptures, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
1. Discover the Temples of Khajuraho: Khajuraho is most famous for its group of Hindu and Jain temples, which were built between 950 and 1050 AD. These temples are renowned for their intricate carvings of gods, goddesses, and other figures, and they are what draw so many visitors to the city.
2. Visit the Wildlife at Kanha National Park: Kanha National Park, a UNESCO world heritage site, is a must-visit for any wildlife enthusiast. It is home to some of the most exotic species of birds and animals, including tigers, leopards, and a variety of deer. Take a safari and explore the lush forests of the national park.
3. Go Shopping in Khajuraho: Khajuraho is a great place to shop for souvenirs and other items. You can find traditional jewelry, textiles, and handicrafts, as well as a variety of other items. There are also a number of restaurants and cafes in Khajuraho, so you can take a break and enjoy some delicious local cuisine.
4. Explore the Raneh Falls: Raneh Falls is a 25-meter-high waterfall located in the Ken river. It is one of the most beautiful natural wonders of the city and is a great spot to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You can take a boat ride and get close to the waterfall and enjoy its majestic beauty.
5. Take a Boat Ride on the Ken River: The Ken River is a great spot for a leisurely boat ride. You can take a cruise and admire the majestic views of the city from the water. You can also visit some of the nearby islands, where you can enjoy some of the local culture and cuisine.
Whether you’re looking for a relaxing getaway or an adventure of a lifetime, there are plenty of things to do in and around Khajuraho. So, come explore this beautiful city and all the things it has to offer.
How to Reach Khajuraho Temple Complex
Khajuraho is one of the most popular tourist attractions in India, renowned for its exquisite collection of medieval Hindu and Jain temples. If you’re planning to visit Khajuraho, here’s how to reach this majestic destination.
- By Air – The nearest airport to Khajuraho is the Khajuraho Airport, located just 5 km away from the city center. This airport is well-connected to major cities like New Delhi, Mumbai, Bhopal, Indore, and Varanasi. So, you can your flights easily and then take a train, bus, or cab to reach Khajuraho Temple Complex.
- By Train – You can travel to Khajuraho via Jhansi or Mahoba Junction, both of which are well-connected to Delhi, Mumbai, Bhopal, Indore, and Varanasi. After deboarding the train, you can take a cab or a bus to reach Khajuraho.
- By Road – Khajuraho is well-connected to major cities like New Delhi, Mumbai, Bhopal, Indore, and Varanasi via NH75. You can take a bus, cab, or self-drive car to reach Khajuraho without any hurdles.
You can prefer booking flights from the USA to Indore to reach Khajuraho in Madhya Pradesh. Here are some popular USA-Indore routes you can take –
- Denver to Indore flights
- Las Vegas to Indore flights
- Detroit to Indore flights
- Atlanta to Indore flights
Explore Khajuraho Temple Complex With MyTicketsToIndia
Planning a trip to the Khajuraho Temple complex is super easy and hassle-free with MyTicketsToIndia. We are a well-established travel agency that provides incredible deals on USA to India flights (and back) and offers discounted India holiday packages. With our extensive range of services, we make your visit to the temple complex an enjoyable and memorable experience. From arranging for flight tickets and accommodation to providing guided tours, we ensure that you have the best time exploring the temple complex. So, call us now to book your tickets and get ready to discover the breathtaking beauty of Khajuraho Temples!
Other Temples In Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh is home to some of India’s most stunning temples and old Indian heritage. Temples in Madhya Pradesh will surely let you have a peaceful and religious escape from the hustle and bustle of your hectic life. So, here are some of the other famous temples of Madhya Pradesh you must visit:
- Sanchi Stupa – Built on a hilltop and surrounded by a series of smaller stupas, Sanchi Stupa is decorated with intricate carvings, sculptures, and paintings.
- Pashupatinath Temple – Located on the banks of the Chambal River, the Pashupatinath Temple is believed to be a major center of religious activity in the region.
- Chausath Yogini Temple – Built during the reign of King Bhoj of the Paramara dynasty, Chausath Yogini Temple is dedicated to the 64 female yoginis or female manifestations of Shakti.
- Kandariya Mahadeva Temple – One of India’s historical temples, the Kandariya Mahadev Temple is an architectural marvel and features intricate details that are simply breathtaking.