Everything You Need To Know About United Airlines Baggage Policy
Posted on May 9th, 2022 by Priyanka Jadhav, Last updated May 10th, 2022, Leave a Comment
Learn extensively about United Airlines Baggage Fee under United Airlines baggage policy to travel with utmost comfort and convenience. United Airlines is a popular American international air carrier that provides services to over 1000 destinations across North America, Latin America, Asia, the Caribbean, and Europe. United is known for its class-apart business-class lounges; smooth website interface for online reservation of flight tickets, global flight route network, and rewarding United Airlines baggage policy you ought not to miss. Hoping to understand United Airlines baggage policy with ease? We are here to help you deliver information on United Airlines baggage fees, United Airlines baggage allowance, or United Airlines luggage policy for carry-on and checked in the easiest way possible!
United Airlines Carry On Baggage
- The United Airlines baggage allowance international and domestic policy permit flyers to carry one personal item and one carry-on baggage.
- According to the standard United Airlines carry on baggage allowance, the personal item must fit underneath the seat in front of you, and the cabin baggage must fit in the overhead space.
- According to United Airlines baggage carry on regulations, the size of the cabin bag must not exceed the baggage size policy, i.e., 9 x 14 x 22 inches (22 x 35 x 56 cm), which includes handles and wheels.
- The total linear dimensions of the personal item must not be more than 9 x 10 x 17 inches (22 x 25 x 43 cm).
However, the United Airlines baggage policy for Basic Economy passengers varies. They are not allowed to hold carry-on bags and can only bring one personal item but there are particular flyers excluded from these terms. Like customers traveling on MileagePlus premier members or travel companions on the same reservation and passengers who are cardmembers of Mileage Plus Credit Card or Star Alliance Gold Members.
Besides carry-on and personal items, United Airlines luggage policy allows flyers to bring a few things free of cost on board, such as:
- Reading Material
- Food or Duty-free Item
- Assistive Medical Devices
- Items for infants like diaper bags, breast pumps, FAA-approved child restraint seats, etc.
- Pet Carrier (with additional charges for carrying a pet in the cabin)
United Airlines Baggage Policy for Infants and Children
Children under two can travel free of cost with a parent or a guardian for domestic travel within the U.S. According to the United Airlines carry on baggage policy, children under the age of two traveling on an international flight are subjected to infant fares with taxes. So an adult passenger must indicate to an airline representative that they are traveling with an infant during their flight booking procedure.
United Airlines Carry On Baggage Packing Tips
Here are a few packing tips to help passengers travel with only a United Airlines baggage carry on!
- Remember that no airline charges their passenger for the clothes they are wearing. Save space by wearing bulky clothes rather than having a hard time packing them.
- Although toiletries are unnecessary to bring if traveling to a vacation destination where they can be readily available, one can get solid alternatives to save yourself from the trouble of going through the security check.
- Take advantage of your personal item. Rather than using it as only a laptop bag, try packing all your valuable items in it and rolling clothes rather than folded to save space.
- Weighing your baggage with a baggage calculator is a must to avoid throwing your luggage items in the bin at the airport.
United Airlines Checked Baggage Policy for International Flights
The United Airlines baggage policy for the economy class permits Basic Economy and Economy Class travel passengers to check into the hold with checked baggage size not exceeding 62 linear inches (158 cm) and a maximum weight less than or equal to 50 lbs.
According to United Airlines business class baggage allowance, passengers traveling on United Business and First-Class fares are allowed to check in baggage up to a maximum weight of 70 lbs (32 kg). Even active-duty U.S. Military Personnel are permitted to carry the same weight of luggage, and U.S military personnel on orders are allowed to check luggage measuring up to 115 inches (292 cm)in total.
The United Airlines baggage fee varies according to the routes of United-operated flights:
Weight Limit by Class of Service:
|Class of Service||Maximum Weight Allowance|
|United Economy||50 pounds (23 kg)|
|United Basic Economy||70 pounds (32 kg)|
|United First||70 pounds (32 kg)|
|United Polaris||70 pounds (32 kg)|
Pay your United Airlines Baggage Fee Prior to Flight Departure
The major American airline company is excited to offer its customers the convenient prepaying of checked baggage on United Airlines and United Express flights. Now, the payment of United Airlines baggage fees is no more an inconvenience! Reach the United Airlines kiosk, print out, and attach the bag tag to the baggage. Then hand it over to a United representative who will drop them at the checked baggage counter. This helps in a smoother and faster check-in procedure and when customers reach the airport.
Customers must prepay 24 hours before departure. Also, United does not permit the facilities of prepayment of checked baggage for overweight baggage as well as oversized baggage.
United Airlines Baggage Allowance for Special Items
According to the standard allowance of United Airlines baggage policy for sporting equipment, ski/snowboards, surfboards, golf bags, etc., are considered exception items and they can be checked into the hold as standard checked baggage.
The weight restriction applied to musical instruments must not be more than 50 lbs; the accepted maximum weight is up to 165 lbs which comes with a cost.
Pets and Pet Carrier:
According to United Airlines baggage allowance policy for pets, pet animals can also be transported as checked baggage in the aircraft’s hold. The cost for checked baggage and carry-on baggage varies greatly. For one way, a carry-on pet carrier costs $125. As checked baggage, animals weighing 22 lbs can be carried in a 10 lb crate with an approximate charge of $350.
Items of high-value or fragile such as antiques, artifacts, heirlooms, electronics, chinaware, precious metals, stones, etc., need to be notified to a United Airlines representative.
United Airlines Checked Baggage Packing Tips
- Write your name, phone number, and details of your flight ticket. Pack one paper inside your bag and stick one outside your bag. This helps in identifying your baggage quickly at the baggage claim counter.
- Make sure that your baggage is secured and the items do not spill during the handling of the baggage in the hold.
- It is advised not to pack valuable items like cash, jewelry, medications, etc., as checked baggage, these can be carried as a carry-on or a personal item.
- Ensure that your bags are checked on time. This will help in a hassle-free airport experience.
- Do not lose your baggage claim check for each baggage you have checked until you collect all your checked bags at the final destination.
Tip for travelers: Please note that according to the United Airlines baggage policy, there are certain prohibited items that must not be carried in a checked bag-in.
United Airlines Extra Baggage Fees
Learn more about United Airlines extra baggage fee policy, if your baggage is oversized or overweight.
- Extra Baggage Fees: The airline only allows excess baggage if the aircraft has available space. In this case, assistive medical devices are not applied and are accepted free of cost.
- Oversized Baggage Fees: United does not accept baggage sizes with maximum dimensions exceeding 115 linear inches (292 cm).
- Overweight Baggage Fees: The air carrier does not allow bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kg). Items such as musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kg) and assistive medical devices are excluded from these fees.
MyTicketsToIndia is a leading and flourishing travel agency that caters to customers looking for affordable travel options. Pack essentials by following our travel experts’ advice on United Airlines luggage policy`, get ready for your international travel with United and MyTicketsToIndia, and prepare to have a gala time!
Baggage Policy For Other Airlines
Given below is the list of airlines’ baggage policy for other popular airlines.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.What happens if I bring a carry-on bag on a Basic Economy ticket?
Ans: The bag will then be processed as checked baggage, and the flyer will be required to pay applicable checked baggage fees with the addition of $25 for gate handling charges. The payment would only be accepted through a credit card. However, this won’t apply to MileagePlus Premier members, MileagePlus Credit Cardmembers, and Star Alliance Gold Members.
Q. Will, I need to recheck my luggage on a connecting United international flight?
Ans: If a passenger arrives on time, they don’t need to stress re-checking their luggage. Even the customer and security check-in line would be short enough, so one can easily board their next flight.
Q. If my connecting international flight is on a different airline other than United, will my baggage still be transferred?
Ans: Yes, if the flight you take is on the same day as the first flight, then the bags you have paid for will be transferred to the next flight.
Fare prices provided are subject to change until ticketed. MyTicketsToIndia acts only as a travel agent and shall not be held responsible for any consequences arising or changes made by United Airlines.
About Priyanka | View Posts
Priyanka Jadhav is a travel writer, who is inclined to explore different cultures and countries. When she is not writing, she is either reading fiction novels or surfing the internet for the next best place to add to her bucket list. Her interests piqued at a young age when she traveled across India and witnessed a variety of cultures, languages, foods, and people. If you're craving for an adrenaline rush, or need an instant travel update - Priyanka has a way with words to help you in every aspect possible. Bring quirky articles and the latest travel updates your way through MyTicketsToIndia, she aims to provide travelers with the necessary information possible.