Tourist Spots Nearby Delhi You Must Visit
Posted on Tuesday, September 7th, 2021 by MTI Team
Delhi is a famous city in India, mainly known as the National Capital Territory of Delhi. It also contains New Delhi, which is the capital of the Indian subcontinent. The significance of Delhi’s location dates back to pre-independent India, mainly the Mughal era. Today, it is a massive metropolitan city in north India. Book your flight to Delhi, and pay your visit to the heart and soul of Indian civilization along with some great historical monuments.
If you are looking for places to visit in Delhi, there are a number of options for you. Firstly, you must incorporate the Indian freedom struggle in order to realize the significant progress of this city. You also need to know about the various transport facilities and hotel accommodations in and around Delhi. It will help you tour Delhi city with ease. Enjoy an extravagant and wonderful stay in Delhi while also learning about its rich cultural heritage.
Top 10 Places To Visit In Delhi, India
While you are in Delhi, you must visit the top tourist attractions of the city. There are various Delhi sight scenes that are sure to mesmerize you in every way. Make sure to have a splendid time in the heart of India.
|Places in Delhi||Famous for|
|Red Fort||Breathtaking Architecture|
|Qutub Minar||Highest Minarets in India|
|Safdarjung’s Tomb||Marble Mausoleum|
|Humayun’s Tomb||First Example of Mughal Architecture|
|Bahai Lotus Temple||Beautiful flower-like architecture|
|Lodi Gardens||Ensemble of monuments constructed|
|India Gate||Largest war memorials in India|
|Jama Masjid||Largest mosques IN India|
|Rashtrapati Bhavan||World’s largest democracy|
|Purana Qila||Most Captivating tourist sitesm|
1. Red Fort
The Red Fort, also known as Lal Qila, is one of the top attractions in Delhi. It is a historic fort in Old Delhi, which formed the base of residence of Mughal emperors. The place consists of massive walls made of red sandstone and intricate carvings through different stones, hence the name.
- Famous for: Independence day flag hoisting
- Location: Netaji Subhash Marg, Lal Qila, Chandni Chowk, New Delhi, Delhi 110006
- Entry Fee: INR 35
- Timings: 9.30 AM to 4.30 PM
- Nearest Metro Station: Chandni Chowk
- Shopping Places Near Red Fort: Chandni Chowk, Dilli Haat.
- Famous Street Foods Near Red Fort: Dahi chaat, papri chaat
2. Qutub Minar
It is a famous monument that forms the major part of the Qutub complex. The place is a popular tourist spot in Delhi built by Qutb-ud-din Aibak. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, forming one of the best Delhi beautiful places to visit.
- Famous for: Symbol of Muslim dominance after the defeat of the last Hindu ruler
- Location: Mehrauli, New Delhi, Delhi 110030
- Entry Fee: INR 10 (for Indians), INR 250 (for tourists)
- Timings: Sunrise to sunset
- Nearest Metro Station: Hauz Khas Metro Station
- Shopping Places Near Qutub Minar: Chawri Bazaar, Kayra
- Famous Street Foods Near Qutub Minar: Pizza momos, Kathi rolls
3. Safdarjung’s Tomb
It is a sandstone and marble museum topping the list of Delhi places to visit. Built-in the memory of the Mughal Nawab Safdarjung, the tomb is dome and arch-shaped, with numerous colored stones and lush lawns. View the natural wonders by visiting this popular tourist place in Delhi.
- Famous for: Historical significance with architectural patterns
- Location: Airforce Golf Course, Delhi Race Club, New Delhi, Delhi 110021
- Entry Fee: INR 15 (for Indians), INR 200 (for foreigners)
- Timings: 7 AM to 6 PM
- Nearest Metro Station: the Jor Bagh metro station, 1 Km Distance
- Shopping Places Near Safdarjung’s Tomb: Khan Market, Dilli Haat
- Famous Street Foods Near Safdarjung’s Tomb: Aloo chaat, aloo kachalu, samosa
4. Humayun’s Tomb
It is one of the most famous destinations to visit in Delhi and is a great architectural marvel. Built by emperor Humayun’s wife, the tomb features major architectural patterns. It also showcases some amazing scenic beauty and ancient patterns of the Mughal era.
- Famous for: Tomb of the famous Mughal emperor Humayun
- Location: Mathura Road Opposite Hazrat Nizamuddin Aulia Dargah, Mathura Rd, Nizamuddin, Nizamuddin East, New Delhi, Delhi 110013
- Entry Fee: INR 35
- Timings: 8 AM to 6 PM
- Nearest Metro Station: Jawaharlal Nehru station, 2 Kms distance
- Shopping Places Near Humayun’s Tomb: Chandni Chowk
- Famous Street Foods Near Humayun’s Tomb: Burger, pizza, rolls
5. Bahai Lotus Temple
It is a house of worship of the Baha’i faith. Many regard this temple complex as a silent teacher of faith and worship. The architectural pattern of this temple is very different from another Hindu temple. The Bahai faith believes in the existence of various messengers of God.
- Famous for: Its flower-like or lotus-like shape attracts tourists
- Location: Lotus Temple Rd, Bahapur, Shambhu Dayal Bagh, Kalkaji, New Delhi, Delhi 110019
- Entry Fee: Free
- Timings: 9 AM to 5 PM
- Nearest Metro Station: Kalkaji Metro Station, 1Km
- Shopping Places Near Bahai Temple: Chandni Chowk
- Famous Street Foods Near Bahai Temple: Rolls, pizzas, pani puri
6. Lodi Gardens
It is a symbol of the beautiful Delhi scenery, which has a rich historical past. It has the tomb of Sikander Lodi, Mohammad Shah, and many others. You will also witness various architectural works of ancient craftsmen here spread all around the huge acres of land.
- Famous for: Ancient tombs and monuments of pre-independent India.
- Location: Lodhi Road, Lodhi Garden, Lodhi Estate, New Delhi, Delhi 110003
- Entry Fee: Free
- Timings: 5 AM to 8 PM
- Nearest Metro Station: Jor Bagh Metro Station, 1.1 Km
- Shopping Places Near Lodi Gardens: Sun City Mall
- Famous Street Foods Near Lodi Gardens: Papri chaat, pani puri, Kathi roll
7. India Gate
It is a popular name among Delhi’s best places, built as an order of the Imperial War Graves Commission. The monument was a tribute to the British warriors who lost their lives in the First World War. Raj ghat and Jantar Mantar are also located in quite a close prominence from India Gate.
- Famous for: War memorial located near Rajpath
- Location: Rajpath, India Gate, New Delhi, Delhi 110001
- Entry Fee: Free for all
- Timings: Open all-day
- Nearest Metro Station: The Central Secretariat Metro Station, 7.4 Km distance
- Shopping Places Near India Gate: Pandora Market, Reliance mall
- Famous Street Foods Near India Gate: Pani puri, Alu Tikki
8. Jama Masjid
Built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan, Jama Masjid is one of the finest mosques built during the Mughal period. It features huge arched gates, marble domes, and entry gates for general people.
- Famous for: It was built by Shah Jahan with a wide courtyard and gates for entry. It is a major historical site in Delhi.
- Location: Jama Masjid Rd, Jama Masjid, Chandni Chowk, New Delhi, Delhi 110006
- Entry Fee: INR 50
- Timings: 7 AM to 12 PM, 1.30 PM to 6.30 PM
- Shopping Places Near Jama Masjid: Meena Bazaar
- Famous Street Foods Near Jama Masjid: Dahi vada, chaat
9. Rashtrapati Bhavan
It is one of the most important sightseeing spots in Delhi. The President of India resides here, and it is a major administrative building as such. Witness the essence of Delhi’s beauty amidst all the hustle and bustle by visiting this place soon.
- Famous for: Residential building of the President of India.
- Location: Rashtrapati Bhawan, President’s Estate, New Delhi, Delhi 110004
- Entry Fee: INR 50
- Timings: Tuesday to Sunday: 9.30 AM to 5 PM (in different slots)
- Nearest Metro Station: Krishi Bhawan is 447 meters away, 6 min walk.
- Shopping Places Near Rashtrapati Bhavan: Connaught Place, Ashoka Hall
- Famous Street Foods Near Rashtrapati Bhavan: Chaat, Pani puri
10. Purana Qila
It is one of the oldest Delhi famous places to visit. There are a lot of tourist spots and a bundle of attractions to visit in and around Purana Qila. The sound and light show in the evening is also mesmerizing to watch. Delhi Gate Metro Station is the nearest metro station for Puran Qila.
- Famous for: One of the oldest forts in India
- Location: Mathura Rd, Near Delhi Zoo, New Delhi, Delhi 110003
- Entry Fee: INR 30-INR 300
- Timings: 7 AM to 5 PM
- Nearest Metro Station: Pragati Maidan Metro Station, 1km distance
- Shopping Places Near Purana Qila: Old Delhi Bazaar
- Famous Street Foods Near Purana Qila: Dahi chaat, Kathi rolls
If you want to travel to Delhi at the best prices, you can contact MyTicketsToIndia. They will help you get exclusive deals on flight prices throughout the year. Get in touch with their experts to plan your tour to Delhi with the best deals.
Famous Markets Of New Delhi Every Shopaholic Should Visit.
1. Sarojini Nagar Market
Sarojini Nagar Market in south Delhi is one of the most famous markets in Delhi. It is famous for affordable pricing on a wide variety of clothes. It is a famous market amongst foreign tourists. The narrow streets of Sarojini Nagar will offer you the widest range of designer and latest style clothes.
Nearest Metro Station to Market: INA metro station, Sarojini Nagar (Pink Line), 1 Km Distance
2. Lajpat Nagar Market
Lajpat Nagar market is a popular market when it comes to wedding shopping. People from different states of India, especially visit this market for wedding shopping. Lajpat Nagar houses both designer and small shops when it comes to shopping.
Nearest Metro Station to Market: via Rajiv chauk, Lajpat Nagar Metro station (violet line), 1 Km
3. Rajouri Garden Market
Rajouri Garden is a popular marketplace for west Delhi people. It gives you plenty of options to shopaholics from high budget range to low budget range. Rajouri Garden is also famous for many famous Punjabi eateries so don’t miss out on a plate of chole bhature there during your shopping break.
Nearest Metro Station to Market:
- Karol Bagh Metro Station (Blue Line),1 Km
- Jhandewalan Metro Station (Blue Line),1 Km
Q: Which is the best place to stay in Delhi?
Ans: Connaught Place, Lutyens Delhi, and Janpath are the most favorable places to stay in the capital city.
Q: Can I get effective deals on flight prices to Delhi at the last minute?
Ans: Yes, definitely. You need to plan ahead and book your flight tickets as soon as possible. You can have a close look at the Delhi tour packages online and decide your trip accordingly.
Q: What are the best street foods to try in Delhi?
Ans: You can try bhel puri, chaat, pani puri, Kathi rolls, and momos from the famous eateries in GTB Nagar in the city center.
Q: Which temples to visit in Delhi?
Ans: You may visit the Lakshmi Narayan Temple, ISKCON Temple, Akshardham temple, Jama Masjid, Bangla Sahib Gurudwara, and Bahai Lotus Temple in Delhi. They are the best Delhi tourist places.
Q: What are the major modes of transport in Delhi?
Ans: Bus, metro, taxi, and auto-rickshaw are the popular modes of transport in Delhi.
Q: When is the best time to visit Delhi?
Ans: October to March is the best time to visit all of the Delhi tourist attractions.
Q: Does Delhi receive snow?
Ans: The annual temperatures in Delhi are well above zero degrees. So, it is highly unlikely that Delhi might receive snow, even during extreme winters.
Q: Which is the major festival in Delhi?
Ans: Diwali is the main festival in Delhi, mainly in November. Plan your trip accordingly.
Popular USA To Delhi RoutesAtlanta To Delhi Flight Austin To Delhi Flights Boston To Delhi Flights DTW To DEL Flights LAX To Delhi Flights New York To Delhi Flights Phoenix To Delhi Flights Denver To Delhi Flights Miami To Delhi Flights Newark To New Delhi Flights MSP To MAA Flights Seattle To Delhi Flights Tampa To Delhi Flights Washington Dc To Delhi RDU To Delhi Flights CLT To Delhi Flights
About Heena Ganotra | View Posts
A writer by both passion and profession, Heena Ganotra is "half agony, half hope" but all heart. And oh, she has been a book lover from the start! Her love for books is what convinced her to make a career in the wonderful world of words. She loves what she does and is out-and-out a satisfied soul with a wish to spread happiness like herpes. Insight- Some say she is living the best life anyone could because she reads, writes, travels, and makes merry. They’re right because what else does one really need! :)